CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2002

Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:48:38 -0700

Joe,

You might try fresh cysteine, or amino ethylmercaptan in the tens of
mM. Vitamin E is mostly beneficial to prevent membrane oxidation, so
won't help in predominantly aqueous environments.

Of course, any large presence of -SH containing scavengers might tend
to reduce important disulfides.

Vitamin C, I think is misunderstood by a lot of people. Depending on
conditions it can act as a significant pro-oxidant catalyst. This
occurs through the formation of ascorbyl radicals during scavenging
that can lead to oxidation of other substrates regenerating
ascorbate, making it available for recycling and catalyzing more
oxidation.

Regards,
Mario

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>         We are imaging live CHO cells and found that they do not like
>Vitamin C even in low concentrations (0.1Mg / ml).  Can anyone recommend
>other anti-oxidants to use that these cells might tolerate. I guess that
>Chinese Hamsters don't have much Vitamin C in their diets.  I've thought of
>trying Vitamin E or some of the Vitamin B's.  Any knowledge or suggestions
>appreciated
>
>Joe Goodhouse
>Confocal / EM Core Laboratory
>Department of Molecular Biology