CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2016

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2016 17:20:19 +0200

Hi Joshua,
does not look good at all! Too bad...

We've been focusing some 200 mW at 480nm and even more at 532 nm without any
problems, but the chance of damaging lens depends on wavelength (of course
405 nm will be much worse) and on specific focusing of the beam. In TIRF you
usually have diffraction-limited spot in the BFP, if you focus on a lens
element, or even worse on a glue in a doublet or triplet, then ...

Indeed, the bubbles look like glue between lenses that have partially
separated. Sort of really, really bad luck. This can happen with any
widefield illumination with gaussian (diffraction-limited) beam, including
SIM and TIRF, but I've actually never seen that before...

In a "high power handling" lens I would avoid any glued lens multiplets, but
who knows what the vendors do.

Best of luck to your remaining eye (and objective lenses), zdenek

--
Zdenek Svindrych, Ph.D.
W.M. Keck Center for Cellular Imaging (PLSB 003)