CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:28:18 +0200

Julio suggests that
'In my opinion, this is much more informative than a Pearson's coefficient of, let's say, + 0.43.'

the problem here is that the term colocalisation has a very broad meaning, covering (a) fluorophores in the same place and (b) a relationship between intensities/concentrations (Pearson correlation coefficient).

Being is the same place may be trivial  - the same physico-chemical properties.
A major problem with measurements that depend solely upon intensity thresholding is that they are very sensitive to the threshold chosen and in noisy fluorescent images this can be hard to set - inevitably some pixels with high noise are included while excluding pixels with a combination of low nosie and low levels of fluorescence - we can't tell then appart.

A relationship  between the intensities (correlation) suggests some form of interaction, this could be direct or involving an additional molecule or structure. A much potentially more interesting observation. Equally important a correlation is a sensitive measurement and likely to change with a cell's physiological state.

Object based methods merely pose the 'in the same place question' but can be made more interesting if a relationship between the intensities across the population of objects is tested for, or even across all pixels deemed to be in all the objects. Essentially measure the correlation in a ROI (Region of Interest).

While I have not seen the latest Zinchuk paper, an earlier paper (Acta Histochem Cytochem 2007, 4, 101-111) on the same topic has some has some very odd features. They very decently include scattergrams of their paired images but the scattergrams suggest that many of the pixels are saturated and therefore unsuitable for the Pearson correlation analysis that they used.  They reported Pearson correlation coefficients very close to 1, meaning a perfect match between the 2 fluorescent images, however this is not at all apparent in the accompanying scattergrams which should therefore have a single noise free straight line. We assume that the measurements come from a subset of the pixels in scattergram, but on what basis was the subset chosen ?. We twice approached the authors for clarification but none was forthcoming.

We have touched on some of these topics in an article in Microscopy and Analysis (September, 2008, 7-11) which should out soon.

Jeremy Adler
Cell Biology
The Wenner-Gren Inst.
Arrhenius Laboratories F5