CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2011

From:
Daniel Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:02:28 -0600

All:

Thanks to all for the helpful and thorough advice.  From your comments, we
definitely have some ideas to work through to nail down the problem-causing
element(s).  From your comments and after speaking with a tech from Zeiss,
apparently this is an issue that previous users have also had with long
time-lapse imaging of incubated samples on the Axiovert 200M microscope.  He
had done previous studies and found that with a similar setup, except with
40x dry objective (instead of 40x water), there is a Z drift of about 13um
in the first 6 hours of turning the system on, at which point the Z drift is
more or less gone.  So for really stable time-lapse work, the system needs
to be on for at least 6hrs!  This is without an incubator enclosing the
entire scope like the Zeiss XL --- perhaps this would reduce the
equilibration time (any thoughts/experience?).

What solutions are there to the problem of the water evaporating off the
objective?  We use a water substitute with the same n but it is a little
thicker, and so less evaporation.

Thanks!

Dan