CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:34:30 +0200

Problems with establishing colocalisation by overlaying images using different layers of an RGB image

1) A change to the detector gain and fiddling in Photoshop changes the apparent colocalisation.

2) The appearance of pixels, where the intensities are similar but are low, is highly dependent on the setup of the monitor and on limitations of printing.

3) Interpretation is therefore highly subjective and Journals should demand a higher level of evidence.

4) Software for quantitation is widely available. Most of which generates a very standard set of measurements.

It should be recognized that the quantitative and non quantitative methods are dependent upon having images of good quality and that are precisely aligned

Jeremy Adler
Cell Biology
The Wenner-Gren Inst.
Arrhenius Laboratories E5