CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2014

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:37:01 -0000

Hi Monica,

Just as an aside on using the microscope and PC standing up, watch out for 'tennis elbow'. I was using a draftmen's chair (that came with the foot rest) with my main works/office PC on a lab bench top (higher than an office desk). I didn't like the chair much as it had a domed top and fixed rubber feet and I couldn't shuffle about on it. So I stood up and used the computer that way instead. That seemed cool as Goethe always stood at a tall wooden desk to write - I've even seen his desk in his house in Frankfurt - however his sloped wooden desk was very high and he would have been able to keep his hand and wrist straight when writing. After many months of standing regularly at the PC I started to get pains in the muscles just below the elbow on the outer arm and the wrist/thumb area. I assumed it was RSI from mouse use as I sit at a desktop PC 24/7, but in fact it was due to standing above the mouse and bending my hand backwards against the wrist all the time (i.e. pushing back the hand, up and backwards towards the wrist, going towards a right angle). It took more than a year to get rid of the pain once it arrived (largely as I didn't know initially what was causing it) and now I make sure my forearm is straight with the wrist and hand when using the mouse (they also suggested using a smaller mouse ball shaped mouse, but I stuck with my sculptured  Logitech performance MX I like).  Apparently tennis elbow is tiny tears and inflammation developing near the bony lump (the lateral epicondyle) on the outside of your elbow caused by muscle strain on the muscles used to straighten your wrist. I now sit at a desk + operators chair with my PC in the lab (we had the lab benching modified to a lower desking area within the lab)

We have a few adjustable foot rests around for users with our operators chairs and all our full height draftsman chairs have the integral footrest. One colleague uses a kick step/stepstool with locking castors as a footrest on the draughtsman chairs (so they don't sit with their feet tucked back underneath them all the time). Seems to work well for them, so thanks for the tip. We also and encourage users to adjust the chairs for themselves when they get to the microscope. On one research microscope, our inverted Nikon TE2000U, the eyepieces binocular head can rotate up and down to accommodate different users height (I think it's called the T-Terg Ergonomic Tube), and that works really well - shame it's not more common.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards

Keith

Without haste, without rest
Johann Von Goethe's motto

Dr Keith J Morris
Cellular Imaging Microscopy Core,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford,
OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.