CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2006

From:
Michael Model <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:15:16 -0500

Dear Alex:

It's hardly possible to compare immunofluorescence from different
animals because you will have to use different primary antibodies. I
think, comparing intensities from different parts of the same image
should be pretty straightforward, but only from sections much thinner
than 300 microns. Can you really see through such a thick tissue? And
you probably cannot guarantee good antibody penetration either. I
wouldn't use anything thicker than 20-30 microns; the thinner the
better. Ideally, if you want to measure the mean intensity per optical
slice, the depth of field should be less than the thickness of the
stained layer. Without seing images, it's hard to tell how to do
segmentation. If it's based on intensity (you say, you apply a
threshold), you may find that the mean intensity can be very sensitive
to the threshold level. It all depends on the image. When it is
sensitive to the threshold, the difference between the mean and
threshold is not, and you can use the difference - but only if you
really want to exclude non-ER backgtround (because that's what Mean
minus Threshold really is: staining of features over the background)

Mike

Michael Model
Confocal Imaging Core,
Department of Biological Sciences,