CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2019

From:
Chad Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2019 09:03:58 +1000

Hi Erika

We are just about to begin rolling out both iLab hardware and software
interlocks throughout Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, including
the microscopy facilities. We are using the hardware interlock module to
control a network power adapter. As we would not risk interrupting the
power supply to a computer, microscope or laser, we are opting for
something inert, which is the computer monitors. When the user has a valid
booking and activates their session via the iLab kiosk (we will have a
small computer in the foyer for this but it can be done via their desktop
computer or phone if necessary) the power to the monitors is restored and
they can carry out their work. This way there is really no possibility that
the interlock can interfere with the operation of the system, as the
monitor only impacts the ability to see the display. When their session is
over they finish their booking via the Kiosk and the monitors turn off,
ready for the next user. We are going to set a "walkout" time which stops
their booking after 30 minutes if they haven't done it themselves or
forgot. This extra time also gives them a chance to finish and save their
work if the next user has not arrived and they have gone over their
allotted time and adjusts the calendar accordingly.

We are also going to also use software interlocks which will allow a user
to access the computer but the software itself is locked down and will only
start if there is a valid booking, as with the hardware interlock. You
install a client on each computer and indicate which programs you want it
to control. We have not noticed any issues in regards to the operation of
the software. The interlock only prevents the execution but once it is
unlocked iLab will only log the time it has been used and it is up to the
user to close the program to prevent extra charges. Both the hardware and
software interlocks interact with a bridge, which is a modified raspberry
pi that acts as a link between the iLab software and the interlocks.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any question regarding
the setup and use of these.

Chad Johnson

*E: c <[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

> *On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 4:37 AM Erika Wee <[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>>
wrote:***** To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go
to: http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
<http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy> Post images on
http://www.imgur.com <http://www.imgur.com> and include the link in your
posting. ***** Hello everyone, I am the new microscopy facility manager at
the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, and we have iLab campus wide for all the
core management, we would like to know if anyone have implemented the iLAB
Hardware Interlock Module for their core facility. Does it interfere with
the imaging acquisition software like Zen or Volocity etc? Any feedback
would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Best, Erika --------- Dr. Erika
(Tse-Luen) Wee Manager, Microscopy Shared Resource Facility Cold Spring
Harbor Laboratory One Bungtown Road Cold Spring Harbor, New York 11724
Office: 516-367-5079 Email: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> *