CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:26:30 -0700

The field of view depends on the optics used to couple the camera to the
microscope, and the size of the CCD array.  CCD arrays are square, and the
image from a microscope is round.  To prevent unsightly black corners from
appearing in your image they usually overfill the CCD array.  That is, the
CCD is only imaging a portion of the full field of view to deal with the
circle vs rectangle problem.  If you are willing to accept not using the
whole CCD array and throw out those black corners, you can set the optics to
only image the specimen plane onto the middle part of the CCD.  This will
give you the full field of view the microscope is capable of, at a cost of
some resolution.  If you are just trying to locate your samples in
preparation for confocal imaging though, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Craig