CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
"S. Brunet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:13:23 -0600
Carol,

The answer depends on the purpose of the curtains.

Blackout material from Thorlabs will block light, but IS REALLY NOT intended to
handle a laser beam, expecially one from a Class 4 laser which has femtosecond
pulses.  Burning plastic is not healthy!

Kentek, Rockwell Laser Industries, and other laser safety suppliers sell
curtains and panels which can handle a Class 4 laser beams.  Some suppliers
offer different colours.

If safety rules must be adhered to, call the safety companies.  I heard of
people using gyprock (sp?) to block laser beam, but it not the intended
purpose.

Good luck,
Sophie

P.S.: no financial gain with companies mentioned above.
Sophie M. K. Brunet, Ph. D.
Research Officer
Optical Spectroscopy, Laser Systems and Applications
Chemistry 112 sessional lecturer
306-966-1719 (office)   306-966-1702 (fax)
Saskatchewan Structural Sciences Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Thorvaldson Bldg.
110 Science Place