CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2018

From:
Cvic Innocent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2018 15:52:35 -0400

Hello all

We at the Cellular Imaging Core also recently tried the STEDYCON and our
experience was that it proves to be a notable addition to upgrade a WF
microscope.

I do agree with it being restricted-- I think STEDYCON has a way to go with
bringing the confocal imaging bit up to competitive standards (& I've been
vocal on that) but the STED images produced were a lovely entryway for
smaller labs and cores to dip their toe into super-resolution. I am
currently considering it being placed at an empty port on our spinning disk
confocal or even on an old Olympus body (it has a DSU which I may
cannibalize). However, since we are a fairly large core facility, I'm also
looking deeply at their Expert Line (& I will keep an eye out for
photoconversion of the dyes!)

Lastly, service is always a huge 'Yay or Nay' point on whether or not to
buy an instrument but I personally am hopeful that they will be up to the
task. They've been exceptionally responsive to us thus far and I have
reason to believe they will continue to be in responsive the future.

It is my opinion that industry giants have an advantage in service packages
but that start-up and mid-age companies have a huge advantage when it comes
to niche capabilities... so I am eager to see what they will do.

Cordially,
cvic

***NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST***