CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1999

From:
Hans van der Voort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:19:50 +0200
Hi Ian,

Last week I wanted to have a look at some old (10 years or so) image
data. I found the QIC tape it was on in a pile in the attic, plugged
into the tape drive and there it was again. Of course 150MB QIC drives
are outdated now, although new versions exist with large capacity.
The point I'd like to make is that when you archive your data on 'proven
technology' tape media the chances that you can still access the data
after 10 years are pretty good. Not only because the tapes themselves
keep their integrity, but also because compatible drives will be around.
I think the modern equivalent of QIC is DLT. (DAT drives are certainly
not)
There are quite a few alternatives to DLT, but most of these fall into
the category 'unproven'.

> None of these problems could be fixed, and 100s of MB of data is a lot
> to lose - we have switched back to ZIPs and CDs - simple reliable
Well, I lost some data on CDRs too. The were in the same attic as the
tapes, but only for two years.

> If people are interested, I could post a bit about our MO jukebox server
> we have been running for about a year now - it hold about 240 GB and
> runs under Novell 4.11 - overall it is really great!
IMHO you still need to backup your jukebox...

Best wishes to all, Hans
dr. Hans T.M. van der Voort                           ([log in to unmask])
Scientific Volume Imaging BV,               URL: http://www.svi.nl/
Alexanderlaan 14, 1213 XS Hilversum,                The Netherlands
tel: ++31-35-6859405, mobile: ++31-653-345445, fax: ++31-35-6837971