CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2013

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 08:39:31 -0500

On 4/30/2013 12:59 AM, Mark Cannell wrote:

> I don't know if anyone said this, but the crystals could be an inorganic component? The green colour could be from the salt leaching copper from the brass of the objective. I would try hot (not boiling) water plus detergent first before moving up the scale of aggressive solvents .(Speaking from experience having re-glued an objective lens due to overzealous use of acetone by a colleague -a tricky operation down a stereo microscope).

Seconded.  If you don't know what the crystals are (e.g., if there's any
chance that some dope got buffer or tissue culture medium on the
objective), water might be the best solvent.  I strongly recommend
starting with Sparkle/lens-cleaner/water+detergent or plain water before
going to organic solvents.  I vividly remember attempting to use acetone
to remove a tar from the inside of a Kimex reaction flask in organic
chem lab--it just wouldn't come off so I tried scraping with a spatula,
at which time the flask broke.  The pieces fell into the bottom of the
sink...and the water there immediately dissolved the tar.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991