CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2014

From:
"Yan, Lu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 16:21:29 -0400

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your post. We have thought about the Mie scattering. It will
indeed affecting the measurement, but we did not expect to see that
pronounced 'distortion'. In Ch.11 of Pawley's Handbook of Confocal Micro.,
Juskaitis describes several methods to measure 'true' PSF of objective
lenses including phase information. There I think they were also using gold
beads as sample. So I was wondering if my case is due to some other things,
like I mentioned in the post that maybe the collimation lens does a so bad
job to create a Gaussian beam with nearly flat phase at around the back
aperture of my objective, such that a lot of other spatial modes also get
to enter into the objective to cause unexpected 'PSF'.

The webapp is really helpful. Thanks for that again.

Cheers,
Lu

Lu Yan
Nanostructured Fibers and Nonlinear Optics Laboratory
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Boston University
8 St. Mary St., Boston, MA, 02215
(617)353-0286

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Douglass Kyle Michael <[log in to unmask]