CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1999

From:
Christian Lohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:56:40 -0700
Dear David,

nice to hear your news from the ASCB. The competition between the major
companies seems to be hard, leading to a fast development of new
technologies - good for the users.
With respect to your question; in Kaiserslautern (Germany) we have a
Leica TCS 4D, and the Kr/Ar laser and/or the laser power supply broke
down about every 6 month, until the whole laser system (laser, fan,
power supply, cables) were changed. Since then, it is working well (1.5
years, a couple of hundreds  hours). However, the changing of the laser
tube or power supply took only a few days after calling the Leica
service (Heidelberg, Germany), which I think is a fast response.
Our Zeiss 510 is only a few months old, thus I can give no comments on
long-term reliability.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Christian

David Knecht wrote:

> I saw the Leica, Zeiss and Biorad at the ASCB meeting and found that until
> everything is implemented and I can demo, I would have a very hard time
> choosing.  I plan to demo them in the spring when all are available and
> running. I am leary of planned features that are not actually running.  One
> thing that has not been discussed that I would find useful is reliability
> of existing instruments.  Could users please comment on the frequency of
> breakdowns of their Zeiss, Leica and Biorad systems?  My Biorad MRC-600 has
> been a real workhorse needing only infrequent repair and I would like to
> have the same reliability in a new instrument.  Thanks- Dave

> Dr. David Knecht
> Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
> University of Connecticut
> 75 N. Eagleville Rd.   U-125
> Storrs, CT 06269
> 860-486-2200      860-486-4331 (fax)