CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2024

From:
Elvire GUIOT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:41:11 +0000
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi everybody,

Working with Leica SP5 and SP8 equipped with HyD detector, I have characterized the HyD mode of operation to help our users to obtain the best with the HyD.  If it is helpful, I could share an application note that I wrote for internal use in our facility (https://seafile.igbmc.fr/smart-link/b4d36de8-550f-45e2-9ec5-5b20dda7191d/)
I agree that " HyD detector is working in the same conditions independently of gain settings or mode. What differs is the processing of the HyD output signal."

The photon counting mode is the HyD basal mode of operating and we need to be careful about "saturation" ( that means that the Hyd detector is no longer linear when the signal reaches 60 MHz or more than 60 counts/µs, so the signal may be underestimated). This can be a problem for intensity quantification.
The standard mode is just a processed mode of the output of the hyD with first a correction for the non-linearity and the implementation of a gain (that is quite artificial in the sense that the gain is a "digital" gain, no action on the detector itself, the output signal remains the same - just a processing operation). In a simple way, changing the gain from 10 to 100 % just multiply by a factor 10 the count value.
So you will not damage the HyD by using a high level gain, but you can easily create a false saturation or have only few discrete and separated intensity levels in your histogram  so little information in your image (knowing that the gain can increase until 500 %).
Damage will occur if the detector receives a too intense fluorescence signal and is overloaded many times.

Whereas, when new users are trained on our SP5-SP8 systems , we recommend to use the HyD in the standard mode  gain 10 % (non-linearity correction is applied but no artificial gain).
If the count levels is too low, then apply an accumulation to fill the 8bit depth in a better way.

Best
Elvire

Elvire GUIOT
Imaging Center of IGBMC