CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2013

From:
Carol Heckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:13:55 +0000

The Michigan Microscopy and Microanaysis Society announces the opening of our Annual Meeting registration!

The Meeting will be hosted by Dow Chemical Company in Midland, MI, on Friday, October 18th. The abstract deadline is September 27th.  The full-day meeting will consist of a facility tour, a catered lunch, and technical presentations.  Confirmed invited speakers are:

Ilke Arslan
3-D and In-situ Characterization of Nanomaterials in the Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope

Dr. Arslan is Senior Scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Washington. She studies the 3D nature of nanomaterials in STEM by using tomography and reconstruction techniques.
Bob Price
Some Basics of Confocal Imaging: How Deep is Deep and are They Really Colocalized?

Dr. Price is Editor-in-Chief of the MSA journal, Microscopy and Microanalysis. He will address some common questions about confocal microscopy. How deep can I image into a tissue? Are the labeled structures co-localized? Can I quantify the fluorescence in the images?
Stephanie Brock
Solid State and Nanomaterials

Dr. Brock has developed strategies for the synthesis of transition metal pnictides (pnicogen = Group 15 element) as nanostructures. The challenge is to assemble them into functional architectures while retaining the unique, size-defined properties of the nanostructures.
Additional presentations will be selected from the submitted abstracts.  Further details can be found at the website:
www.michmicroscopy.org