CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:13:00 -0600

In terms of the laser it self, there are a few things to consider.  If
you go with a Ti:Saph laser, it doesn't actually need a whole lot from
day to day.  From my experience with our own lab's laser, it needs an
occasional top-up of distilled/filtered water for the cooling chiller
(maybe a liter once every couple months!).  If you plan on running the
laser below 860nm or so you generally have to purge the laser cavity
with ultra pure (5.0) dry nitrogen.  Our own lab has a researcher that
works at 925nm and we go through a tank every couple months.  Finally,
most Ti:Saphs use diode lasers as a pump source.  These diodes can
work for anywhere from 5 to 10 years, and cost about 10-20k to
replace.
From a facilities standpoint, Ti:Saphs require a fairly clean,
temperature-stable environment.  They put out a lot of heat from the
chiller, so it is important to ensure your room has adequate air
conditioning to handle the thermal load.  If the temperature changes
more than a couple degrees over the course of a day it can be bad for
the laser.

Hope this helps!

Craig