CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2023

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:13:28 +0100
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Another "lost structure" is linin, which at the end of the 19th and
roughly the first third of the 20th century was supposed to be an
acromatic scaffold in the cell nucleus in which chromatin was embedded.
I never figured out if what was described as linin was just widespread
imagination/artifact or if it relates to a "modern" structure. It
appears the term simply faded away in later decades.

In some aspects linin seems to have been a predecessor of the nuclear
matrix - another term that seems to fade away over the years (but maybe
I am having a wrong impression on this one)

Mesosomes are an example of an EM artifact in bacteria that "existed" in
the 1960ies and 70ies, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesosome

Steffen

Am 02.01.2023 um 16:51 schrieb Cole, Richard W (HEALTH):
> *****
> To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
> https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat