CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2019

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 08:46:10 +0000

How about running a windows 7 virtual machine inside windows 10?

Mark B. Cannell. Ph.D. FRSNZ FISHR
Department of Physiology, Pharmacology & Neuroscience
School of Medical Sciences
University Walk
Bristol BS8 1TD

On 21/11/19, 8:21 AM, "Confocal Microscopy List on behalf of Dave Johnston" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    Whilst future proofing is definitely the ideal, long term solution, till you can raise the funds what you could possibly do is have the PC on the netork but off the domain, so that institution IT can't fiddle with it, then can log into domain to access filestores etc (+/- a VPN connection as required). We keep most of our microscope PC's off domain, so users log into PC with a generic, local machine login and then login to the domain to transfer files at the end of a session. Third party windows anti virus software will likely be supported for much, much longer - for example AVG still supplies winXP virus definitions! So you can reasonably self-secure an off domain PC.

    In worst case scenario, take data off on memory sticks that have to be prescanned on a win 10 machine before each use.

    You can also get network switches with built in firewalls to help secure you from the wider network.

    The issue with trying existing software on win10 on older PC hardware could be both driver compatibility and manufacturer support.

    There is an arguement that if it ain't broke, don't fix it (one of our TEM's is still running win 2000 as upgrade to win7 would have been about £20,000!) so guess it can also depend on how long you see your facility running that scope before replacing it.

    Regards,

    Dave Johnston,
    Biomedcal Imaging Unit, University of Southampton.