CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2012

From:
"Kilgore, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:21:04 -0400

** Vendor Reply **

I actually helped develop ProLong Gold.

Though it will work as a mountant and as an antifade before it hardens, you do need to let it harden (or cure) to get the best refractive index.

If you seal the edges prior to curing, it will not cure correctly, since it needs the air interface.  I would wait a day or two before sealing, to make sure curing has completed.

ProLong Gold does not require secondary sealing, unlike the old ProLong, unless you archive the slides.  If you don't secondary seal the edges, then after several months of storage of the slide it will start to have a golden appearance to the edges (where it has oxidized the antifade components).  So if you are archiving your slides long-term, then secondary sealing becomes something that you would need to do.

Cheers,

Jason

Jason A. Kilgore
Technical Application Scientist
Molecular Probes Labeling and Detection Technologies
Cells Systems Division

T 1 800 955 6288 then option 4, then option 6,  or  541 335 0353 . F 541 335 0238
29851 Willow Creek Rd . Eugene . OR . 97402-9132 . United States
www.invitrogen.com/technicalsupport