CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Martin Seem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:30:23 +0100

I would like to thank everybody that has contributed to this tread. I
have read your replies and I appreciate the feedback.

I posted my questions after reading an old listserver thread called "How
to measure objective transmission curves?" (1) from 2007 hoping that a
commercial solution to the challenge of measuring laser power output
from high NA immersion objectives would have been developed and brought
to market since then. I guess it might be possible to make such a
product by combining a small (hyper)hemispherical lens, an integrating
sphere (optional - depending on the acceptance angle of the detector)
and a detector/sensor. Basically a solution similar to the latter part
of the setups described by either (2) or (3). Ideally these parts would
be housed in an enclosure small enough to fit onto the stage of a modern
CLSM. On the basis of the feedback from this thread and after checking
with companies like Coherent and Newport it seems such a product does
not exist. If this is indeed the case its a shame since being able to
accurately measure the amount of excitation light leaving the objective
would have been quite valuable especially when doing any form of live
cell imaging.

In lack of such a product it seems like the method described by Grunwald
et al. (2008) is the next best alternative as long as building a custom
solution is not an option (thanks to John for the reference). I guess a
precise estimate of laser power output could be calculated by
multiplying the data acquired using Grunwalds protocol with the
wavelength specific transmission of the lens (measured using a two
objective setup as suggested by Richard) although this would not be a
particularly simple way of getting the data.

(1)
http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0709&L=CONFOCALMICROSCOPY&D=0&P=3463
(2) Matsuo, S. & Misawa, H. (2002). Direct measurement of laser power
through a high numerical aperture oil immersion objective lens using a
solid immersion lens. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 73(5), page 2011-2015.
(3) Keller, H.E. (2006). Objective lenses for confocal microscopy.
Handbook of Biological Confocal Microscopy, Pawley, J. (ed), Springer
Science+Business Media, New York, page 159.

Martin