CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
Adrian Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:22:26 +1100

On related note our Olympus rep just pointed me to their new silicone oil objectives...

http://www.microscopy-analysis.com/news/olympus-introduces-uplsapo-30x-and-60x-silicone-oil-immersion-objectives

http://microscope.olympus-global.com/en/ga/product/fv1000/sf03.cfm
http://microscope.olympus-global.com/uis2/en/uplsapo30xs/
http://microscope.olympus-global.com/uis2/en/uplsapo60xs/

Anyone tried one?

Regards,

Adrian

On 10/01/2011, at 7:39 PM, Jeremy Adler wrote:

> We are considering buying a new confocal for examining fixed and potentially thick biological specimens.
> Given the need to have to an RI match between the specimen, mounting medium and immersion medium, I want to ask about the pros and cons of glycerol objectives.
>
> Oil objectives appear to have no obvious advantages, the higher RI will only apply if specimens are mounted in a medium with a RI close to that of oil - while most media seem to have lower RIs. Why would anyone choose an oil objective  and which mounting media work for thick specimens ?
>
> A possible disadvantage of glycerol objectives is that glycerol is hygroscopic which could change its RI. Are there any RI equivalent immersion media ?.
>
> So the pros and cons of oil or glycerol objectives.
>

> Jeremy Adler
> Genetics & Pathology
> Rudbeckslaboratoriet
> Daghammersköljdsväg 20
> 751 85 Uppsala
> Sweden
>
> 0046 (0)18 471 4607

Dr Adrian Smith
    Manager, Cytometry & Imaging Facilities
    Centenary Institute
    http://www.centenary.org.au
    Locked Bag No.6 Newtown, NSW 2042 AUSTRALIA.
    Ph: 61-2-9565-6189     Fax: 61-2-9565-6101