CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2014

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2014 23:14:48 -0500

My approach to arc lamps was:

1. each new arc lamp bulb was rubbed down with 70% Ethanol soaked
kimwipes (wearing lab gloves for this and the bulb installation) to
remove the nasty stuff on the glass envelope. - This was taught to me by
John Zhang, our excellent Leica confocal service engineer, who learned
it from one of his customers.

2. Each new arc lamp bulb run at 100% power for the entire first full
workday (and I worked 8am-6pm+ for most of my time in Miami) to let the
electrodes burn in. Maybe I should have done that every day for a week?

I found it simplest to let the bulb die than track its dimness over
months. I'll guess that half died by failing to turn on one day, the
other half passed during imaging sessions (maybe more of the former). I
made sure I had plenty of new bulbs on hand - and I was around most of
the time and my cell phone number was on my business card and posted in
the imaging cores.

Now: Lumencor SOLA on the main microscope in my lab. I would still like
to get a Lumen Dynamics XLED1 - or even better a pair - for that scope,
not in the lab budget.

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.