CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2019

From:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 14:25:35 +0000

Hi Sylvie, Do you do your 15 hours training with a group of trainees or 1:1? best wishes Andreas  -----Original Message-----
From: Sylvie Le Guyader <[log in to unmask]>
To: CONFOCALMICROSCOPY <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:17
Subject: Re: training and bets practices for confocal

Hi Michael

The question is: why offer a 3h training at all? It gives users/group leaders the false impression that it is possible to be trained in 3h.

In our facility our training takes 15h (5x3h within 1 week, only using the user’s samples and acquiring real data) and this comes after 1h of troubleshooting the sample and experimental design.

We never compromise on the training, even for Master students who will only be at the facility for 3 months. They get the full training as well.

People who come to us in a hurry with ‘a few slides to image before resubmitting their paper’ are told that they will need to collaborate with one of our trained users. The users get to show off their skills and get their name on the paper. The stressed authors get a super collaborator who quickly delivers relevant images. Win/win.

We believe that our role as an imaging facility is not to ensure that our users do not destroy our equipment but to make sure that them not destroying the equipment is a natural consequence of our good training.

This strategy has several beneficial effects:

- our users trust that we know what we are doing to a very level so they come to us to ask questions if they are unsure and therefore we avoid accidents.

- over the years, the level of awareness and education in microscopy in the labs around us has increased very significantly. Group leaders who hear their users explain their points also get educated. Therefore the accuracy and complexity of the scientific questions the group leaders ask is getting higher and higher, making our job super interesting! 😃

I would hate to spend my time putting out fires. Over the past 11 years, I can count on the fingers of my hands the number of times we have had problems because of our users being messy/unaware/careless.

I personally believe that all the parameters should be explained in detail so that the users can choose to correctly match their imaging settings with their sample and scientific question. There is a reason why manufacturers give us the option to adjust the pinhole, the detector offset...

A pinhole of 1 AU is only a compromise between good optical sectioning and brightness. If your samples are very bright, you are much better off setting the pinhole to 0.7 AU (and then you should decide which wavelength is most important to match). But if closing the pinhole means that you then need to push the detector gain so much that SNR is unacceptable or use tons of laser and bleach before the end of your z stack, you need to readjust your first choice.

About the offset, we usually bring it down until we start seeing some 0 value pixels then we bring it one set up. I agree with the suggestion to have no saturation at all in the area of interest: if there is a blog of precipitated antibody outside the cell of interest, it doesn’t matter if it is saturated.

On our webpage<https://ki.se/en/bionut/teaching-material> you can find a document called Typical workflow of how to set a confocal (1.2 AU on a Nikon system corresponds to 1 AU due to some unusual pinhole shape). During the training, we go through every single point, explain what the options are and why, and discuss with the user to find the best objective, settings, strategy… to answer their scientific question reliably. If you look at the document you will see that 15h is no luxury! 😉

If ever you check our videos and Typical workflow and find errors/omission, please let me know! I am very keen on getting feedback!

Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Sylvie

Sylvie Le Guyader, PhD

Live Cell Imaging Facility Manager