CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2014

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:36:57 -0600

I've built a number of Thorlabs systems 'on a stick' and I find the biggest
issue is the table or platform the whole system sits on. The post won't
cantilever too bad if it is on a stable base, but it will aggravate any
instabilities if you have a 'noisy' tabletop. I have a half-meter high
system on posts like this that is quite stable (CARS system), but it is on
a 45cm thick optical table which is floated. On a smaller scale, I have a
widefield system on a 10cm thick top that is 25cm tall that is fairly
sturdy with just neoprene damping feet under the breadboard. What sort of
bench/table do you have? Then I could suggest more accordingly.  If you are
building inverted a simple solution is to use a very short post or optical
rail (XT66 or XT95) or a heavy tapped block like the TS240 Tombstone:

http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=223

Craig