CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:32:37 -0500

Dear Confocal Listers,

The UBC Live-Cell Course was begun over 16 years ago to offer a
Woods-Hole-type course on the "other" coast, based upon the 2nd
Edition of the Handbook of Biological Confocal Microscopy. Its goals
were to provide students with more time to actually use the
instruments and to teach scientists how to view living cells rather
than dead ones. Its success in achieving these goals has been
acknowledged by feedback from the hundreds of students from 43
countries who have attended over the years, many of whom are frequent
contributors to this list.

While enrollment was reduced by the financial crash of 2008,
sufficient applications arrived before the March 15 deadline in 2009,
2010 and 2011 for me to  proceed with final arrangements for the
Course.

However, this year, I have received less than one half of the
necessary applicants required to make a successful course possible.
 More surprisingly, there was no last minute flurry of applications
in the week around the deadline. (Note: If there is a problem at our
end and anyone tried to apply but failed, please let me know
personally.)

The Live-Cell Course course is self-sustaining. Student tuition
covers only faculty travel and living expenses and 3 temporary
personnel to run the office, the food service and and the cells lab.
But it succeeds because the manufacturers make generous donations of
supplies and spend tens of thousands of dollars to transport
microscopes and personnel to Vancouver.  I can only ask them to make
this financial sacrifice if we can provide actively interested
students.

If 10-15 additional applications are not obtained by April 15th,
2012, the course will not be financially viable and must be canceled
for this year.

This ListServer and your personal recommendations have been the
primary method of reaching out to the community.   Many former
students watch this list and I'm asking that you please spread the
word to anyone who you think might benefit from this course and
encourage them to apply within the next 2 weeks. Please share your
own experience.

I understand the level of austerity most institutions are facing.
 The discretionary budgets often used to send students, staff and
faculty to courses such as this have been cut.  Research funding is
stretched tighter than ever.

The application URL is
<http://3dcourse.ubc.ca/2012/public.php?page=apply>http://3dcourse.ubc.ca/2012/public.php?page=apply

Other info at
 <http://3dcourse.ubc.ca/2012/public.php?page=overview>http://3dcourse.ubc.ca/2012/public.php?page=overview

Thank you for your help,

Jim Pawley
--
James and Christine Pawley, 21 N. Prospect Ave. Madison, WI, 53726
Phone: 608-238-3953