CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2017

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:43:52 -0600

Hi Dale,

These are chemically different classes, so do not count on one method
working for all.

While not specifically mentioned by you, Alexa Fluor 647 is a Cy5
analog, should be destroyed by the Gerdes et al (GE multiOmyx) method, see

Highly multiplexed single-cell analysis of formalin-fixed,
paraffin-embedded cancer tissue.
Gerdes MJ, Sevinsky CJ, Sood A, Adak S, Bello MO, Bordwell A, Can A,
Corwin A, Dinn S, Filkins RJ, Hollman D, Kamath V, Kaanumalle S, Kenny
K, Larsen M, Lazare M, Li Q, Lowes C, McCulloch CC, McDonough E,
Montalto MC, Pang Z, Rittscher J, Santamaria-Pang A, Sarachan BD, Seel
ML, Seppo A, Shaikh K, Sui Y, Zhang J, Ginty F.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jul 16;110(29):11982-7. doi:
10.1073/pnas.1300136110.
PMID: 23818604

and Gerdes patent.

May be simpler to just strip the antibodies off (be sure to wear PPE -
personal protective equipment -- while stripping antibodies).

See slides 11 and 12 of

https://digitalpathologyassociation.org/_data/files/2014_Pathology_Visions/PV14_Presentations/11_Day_2_Opening_Presentation_Levenson.pdf

for a first round 10plex. Also mentioned at

https://www.cacds.uh.edu/research/domain-applications/mapping-brain-tissue-alterations/

enjoy,

George

p.s. improving immunofluorescence on FFPE tissue sections - I encourage
checking out

Formaldehyde scavengers function as novel antigen retrieval agents.
Vollert CT, Moree WJ, Gregory S, Bark SJ, Eriksen JL.
Sci Rep. 2015 Nov 27;5:17322. doi: 10.1038/srep17322.
PMID: 26612041

and their corresponding patent (US 9506928,
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/9506928.html ), and to keep an eye on
the company, www.teomics.com, for product(s). I do not have a financial
connection to them (I met Craig V at  JLabs@TMC events recently). They
do not present quantitation on how much these 'formaldehyde scavengers'
improve FFPE tissue sections antigen retrieval by -- my hope is 20x
improement for 80% of epitopes ... which I think would greatly improve
direct immunofluorescence, which in turn would enable multiplexing. Of
course I had high hopes for an A.R. method a decade ago (PubMed
20025485, 15637333) which did not catch on.

--

George McNamara, PhD
Houston, TX 77054