CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2001

From:
"Aryeh M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:43:56 +0300
> Brelje. I also think that a new version is necessary to correct bugs,
> improve functions and add new tools such as:
> -Co-localisation analysis
> -Fluorescence bleed-through, analysis and correction
> -Read and write multiple confocal file format (Zeiss, Leica, Biorad,
> Olympus, Nikon)
> -Basic image analysis (area, integrate density)
> -Basic deconvolution (for example, using the near neighbour method)
> I would like to comunicate this idea to the community to initiate a
> dialogue on the suitability of a public domain confocal software project;
> if there are people interested in participating, who would coordinate it,
> whether it would be based on CAS or should be started from scratch, etc.

I suggest that for public domain product, ImageJ would be a very good starting
point. It already has plugins that can read BioRad format files, as well as
a rich set of processing function that is getting richer all the time.
Much of your wish list above is already there. It also runs on
Windows, Mac, and Unix.

For those with richer tastes, I managed to hack a file format description
for BioRad pic sequences that works under Image Pro Plus. It is a bit
of a kludge,  but it can do the job. If anyone needs it, feel free to
contact me off list.

--aryeh
Aryeh Weiss                          | email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            | URL:   http://optics.jct.ac.il/~aryeh
Jerusalem College of Technology      | phone: 972-2-6751146
POB 16031                            | FAX:   972-2-6751275
Jerusalem, Israel                    | ham radio: 4X1PB/KA1PB