CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1997

Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:54:59 IDT
> non-intuitive effects. It may also be worth noting that the TLD on the
> MRC1024 is constructed using photo-diodes, and this means that the red
> channel tends to be more sensitive than the others. Consequently it may be
> worth making use of the 647nm (Red) laser line to help generate a better
> phase image, as you are using Cy2 this shouldn't cause extra bleaching or
> bleed through.

I only have a single TLD, and I dont know if the original post was made
by someone with a three channel transmitted light setup. I think that the
difference in detectivity of the diodes between 488nm and 647nm wont account
for needing 100% power.

I spent many fine hours today wrestling with the TLD, so I can add some
comments about its use.

1. Increasing gain sometimes increased the signal output, and
sometimes decreased it. Since the behavior of the diode to a change in
bias does not reverse itself spontaneously, this is a software
problem.

2. The incident light illuminator, through which the TLD receives its
signal, must be properly aligned. Even small misalignment severely
degrades the signal. I had to realign a few times during the session
because tilting the illuminator back to replace the slides sometimes
degraded the alignment. (I am using a Zeiss Axiovert 135).

3. Changing the TLD setting during scanning (which is needed to find a
useful gain and black level setting) caused the images on my display
to get out of sync with the scanning. That means that the image
displayed did not begin from the top.

4. Continued adjustment of the TLD settings during scanning eventually
resulted in a COM1: communication error which required the shutdown
and power cycling of everything (computer and control unit) in order
to recover. This is an error which always popped up occasionally and I
had reported it. However, this is the first time I was able to
associate the crash with an action taken within the lasersharp.

I am interested in hearing from other MRC-1024 users with similar
experiences. I am using version 2.1A of lasersharp. I hear version 3.0
is on the way.

--aryeh
Aryeh Weiss                          | email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            | URL:   http://optics.jct.ac.il/~aryeh
Jerusalem College of Technology      | phone: 972-2-6751146
POB 16031                            | FAX:   972-2-6751275
Jerusalem, Israel                    | ham radio: 4X1PB/KA1PB