CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2011

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2011 18:36:47 -0600

Hi all,

I would like to hear a little about where this data is coming from.

Am I right in assuming that it is related to a photon image of some
sort. Probably not confocal, where we virtually never get as many as
4,096 photons/pixel.

But even if it is the output from some widefield LM on a CCD or
sCMOS, and the saturation level really does correspond to 65k photons
(or at least 65k photoelectrons), I can't get all that worried about
whether it is 65,000 or 65,016, when the Poisson Noise on such a
signal is +/- 256 photoelectrons. Even if you manage somehow to get
your staining to be so specific that there is almost no background
(say 100:1), then the darkest pixel would be 650 but the Poison Noise
will still be +/-25.6 photoelectrons.

Usually in fluorescence microscopy, we are working at the other end
of the scale: maybe 2,000 PE/pixel peak, 20 PE in the darkest area.

In this case, I don't see a lot of reason to worry about the
interpolation levels, as long as you have the camera-gain set so that
one count in the memory equals about half the read noise of the
camera in e/pixel.

Cheers,

Jim Pawley

Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.
608-238-3953
21. N. Prospect Ave. Madison, WI 53726 USA
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 11-23, 2011, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	    Applications due by March 15, 2011
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.