CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2012

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:14:17 -0700

The diagonal in z will be much 'straighter' (due to the fact that the voxels are elongated in z rather than being square), making the factor much closer to 1 (probably something like 1.1) so it can safely be ignored. When talking about slightly oversampling, 2.3 is already doing this - strict Nyquist is a factor of 2. It's also worth noting that you should probably use the theoretical resolution values (ie ~180x450 for a 1.4 NA objective @500nm and a pinhole of 0.7 AU) and not the observed PSF width, as these reflect the bandwidth of the system. I this tend to reccommend a blanket 70x70x200nm pixel size when using a high NA objective on fixed cells. In live cells, or other delicate samples you need to exercise a little more discretion - the artefacts introduced by slight undersampling are likely to be outweighed by other considerations.

My 2c,
David