CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Adrian Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:56:15 +1100
Hi all,

The University with which we are affiliated is currently planning a
large new research building which will incorporate an (optical)
cellular imaging facility.

The design brief expressed a preference for a ground floor/basement
location for the imaging facility but the current plans have the
facility located on the 4th floor.

The plan is that the facility will house a mixture of optical
microscopes, ie confocal, multiphoton, widefield etc, and (by the time
the facility is built), super-resolution.

(At this stage there is also plenty of room for future expansion/new
technologies)

I'm interested to hear experiences/feedback from people about just how
important it is to have such a facility on the ground floor/basement -
ie just how much is that a consideration in a new, purpose-built
building? I know of many places (here included) where advanced
microscopes are NOT on the ground floor but I'm keen to hear if there
are locations where that has been a failure or there have been
unexpected complications etc.

All feedback gratefully received.

Regards,

Adrian Smith