CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2012

From:
Etienne Lareau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:42:01 -0500

Hi David, George and Listserv,

When the flux is sufficiently low, Photon Counting (PC) has an advantage
over the Analog Mode (AM) for EMCCDs, as the Excess Noise Factor does
impact the SNR of the images. Figure 1 (http://www.nuvucameras.com/download/ConfocalMicroscopy/Confocal_Fig1.pdf) shows the difference
between PC and AM observations. The PC observation was made with 10
images with an acquisition period of 50 ms, while the AM observation is
a single image acquired during 500 ms (the total integration time is the
same for both images). The camera (our EM N2 512 x 512 product) was
operated at an EM gain of 5000 with a 10 MHz pixel rate for both
acquisitions. We see that the accuracy of the flux measurement is better
in PC than AM, and the SNR is thus higher.

In our opinion, Photon Counting (the thresholding technique, not the
conversion of AD count into photon numbers) can add a significant
plus-value in a variety of microscopy applications including certain
methods involving super-resolution. It should be noted that although the
typical available light flux in microscopy applications is usually
higher than in astronomy, this is not a show-stopper. Quite on the
contrary, using photon counting (PC) can allow to use lower laser power
and acquire at higher frame rates, to name a few benefitted parameters.

In spite of these improvements, one has to remember that PC requires
certain key conditions to provide its theoretical advantage. A
combination of very high gain and very low spurious charge noise (also
referred to as CIC, clock-induced charge) is necessary to attain a
superior SNR (see Figure 2 for details :http://www.nuvucameras.com/download/ConfocalMicroscopy/Confocal_Fig2.pdf).

If you would like further details on Photon Counting with EMCCD cameras,
please don't hesitate to come and meet us at the Biophysical Society
meeting in San Diego next week. We will present some single-molecule
imaging results using PC at the chromatin session, presentation #2445-Pos.

Best regards,
Etienne

--
Etienne Lareau, M.A.Sc.