CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2009

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:27:24 -0000
Following on from the discussion on cleaning cover-slips a while ago, any tissue digest such as acids/bleach should help remove cellular material from the dishes, followed by standard detergent then alcohol washes. However sterilization is a bit of a pain, as autoclaving will deform the plastic - due to the plastic they are safe only up to 50oC. Probably uV is the only way to go, unless you happen to have a massive gamma irradiation facility nearby [which actually we do, at Harwell]. Back at UCL we did try fabricating our own Mattek dishes from plastic Petri dishes but our workshop had trouble cutting the hole without splintering the plastic a little - I expect Mattek dishes holes are laser cut [which is fast and works brilliantly and you could even have a unique number/ident/logo etched into the plastic as well]. It really wasn't cost effective to make them in-house, particularly as our workshop starting charging an hourly rate.

Around 25 years ago we used to use glass 'tubes' around a few centimeters tall, machine cut from a glass tube ~3.5cm diameter [that took a standard plastic or glass Petri dish lid, but I think we machined our own re-usable lid]. The bottom rim was ground flat and we [well our workshop chaps] glued a very thin plastic membrane to the bottom - probably using a silicon type adhesive as Mattek do, but I'd have to check that. This membrane was only a few um thick from memory, probably 20 to 50um - it was ICI Melinex and available in a range of Thicknesses]. The wells were then sterilized within one of our massive walk in gamma irradiation facilities [originally constructed to irradiate large animals, e.g. goats, as you did back in the 1950/60s]. The cells grew well on this membrane and were imaged under our MRC 500 and latterly 1024 confocal [c1980/90s]. After use the membrane was taken off, the glass washed in a glass washing machine, and a new membrane fitted and the culture vessels then irradiated on-mass.

All very well and good, but now I use pre-sterilized Mattek dishes instead as being only £1 each it's a lot less trouble, particularly now I don't have free access to the gamma cells or an in-house workshop. I do regularly re-use Mattek* dishes, but also to produce microscopy test samples using things like fluorescent spheres, salt crystals doped with fluorescence, micro-fossils and the like - never to re-culture cells. We tend to club together with other groups to buy many hundreds of Mattek Petri dishes at a time and save on postage costs [quite high to the UK]. At most I only use a few a day so it's not many pennies in the scheme of things [even when using the rather more expensive Mattek multiwell plates].

Regards

Keith

There are other suppliers of similar 'confocal dishes', e.g. PAA Labs:
http://www.paa.com/products/plastic_labware/cell_culture/confocaldishescoverglass_bott.html
But they are of comparable price.
For more cell culture/microscope imaging products links see our web site:
http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/external-website-links
and see: Microscopy Live Cell Imaging and Anti-Fadent Mountants
If you know of any other similar products I'll be pleased to add them

Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford  OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568