CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
"M.J. Tobin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:23:23 +0000
Dear all

I am currently using a non-commercial confocal microscope which is laid out on
an optical bench.  However the sample stage consists of Melles Griot
translators (x-y) plus a piezoelectric translator (z) and is not really
satisfactory (it vibrates too!).  I want to replace the stage and scan head
with a commercial fluorescence microscope into which I will incorporate my
current scanning mirrors.  I therefore need some help with the following.....

1.    What is the common method of z-translation in commercial instruments?
 Piezoelectric, or stepper motor control of the focus wheel? I have seen the
piezo objective mounts on some Noran instruments....are they any good?

2.    When you wish to view the sample by phase contrast, do the scanning
mirrors have to be flipped out of the beam?  In my current set up, the second
scan mirror is about 15mm above the back aperture of the objective.

That's all for now.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Tobin

--
Dr. Mark Tobin
Daresbury Laboratory