CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2005

Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:36:42 -0700

David,

Bleaching is a complicated process with usually unknown factors to
deal with. If you can "see" the bleaching try fitting a function. If
you are lucky it might be a single exponential decay. More likely
than not it will depend on multiple exponential components and the
spread in the z-PSF at different planes in the sample.

If the % bleaching is less than 20% you can use a simple linear
approximation for each plane and the error shouldn't be too bad.

Send me details, if you like.

Mario

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hi fellow confocalists
>
>I have observed that my monitoring beam has been bleaching my flurochrome
>(Cy5).  Is there a known formula that relates the amount of bleaching to
>the number of images acquired (or at least a functional form)? (so that I
>may correct for this "background" bleaching)
>
>any help would be much appreciated!
>
>David Depoil
>PhD student
>Valitutti's Team