CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Michael Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:33:38 +0200
Russ,

the objectives are Zeiss W Achroplan (front end covered with ceramics)
with which you can directly dip into water. If they survive treatment
with acids is another question, I am thinking of the glue which holds
the front lens.

Do you use the hydrate and lactic acid/glycerol solutions as one step in
the protocol, or right in your imaging medium?

Michael

Russ Spear schrieb:
> Hi
>
> Could you use some thing like saturated chloral hydrate in water (you'll
> need a drug permit), or a lactic acid/glycerol solution both are water
> miscible. I use these on plant material quite often.  The major problem
> is having to image in water, can you use an objective made for glycerin
> immersion?
>
> Russ
>
> Michael Weber wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> first of all, thanks for the replies off- and online!
>>
>> I should have mentioned a bit more details in my initial post. The
>> embryos get mounted in agarose and investigated with dipping
>> objectives with water as medium, so the RI of the surrounding medium
>> is around 1.33. I expect the RI of the embryo to be higher, so the
>> limiting factor for penetration depth is diffraction between medium
>> and embryo. But, there is nothing I can do about that, right? Clearing
>> with i.e. BABB would not make any sense, if I put the samples back in
>> water-like medium afterwards and do not use oil objectives anyway. So
>> the imaging conditions are already as optimized as possible - is that
>> a valid conclusion, or am I missing something?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Michael
>>

>> Phil Hertzler schrieb:
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) also works well and smells
>>> better than BABB. :-) Transition through 100% ethanol from aqueous
>>> buffer.  I've stored samples over 15 years in MS without loss of
>>> fluorescence.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Phil

>>> Philip L. Hertzler