CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2012

From:
"Watkins, Simon C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:16:06 -0500

Folks, we would like to announce that enrollment for Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy 2k13 at the Mount Desert Island Marine Laboratory in Maine is now open.  The tremendous success of the course over the last several years has encouraged us to run it again next year, and as it is almost December it is time to start our enrollment.
This is an intensive lab/lecture course, focusing on fluorescence microscopy in all its forms, including widefield, Confocal, Multiphoton, Decon, Super resolution TIRF, FRET etc, though with an emphasis on live cell methods.
We also encourage students to provide their own specimens such that the hands on components of the course are as enriching as possible
Enrollment is highly competitive, so if you think that you or your colleagues would benefit from the course please enroll as soon as possible.
 We will be continuing the successful changes that were implemented over the last few years, namely:

1: Alumni are eligible to return.   Because we made sweeping changes in the curriculum a couple of years  back, and  all aspects of imaging have advanced enormously we feel it is time to allow past students to take the course again.    So... alumni... you are welcome to return to the course.  Please point out that you are an alumnus in the application.

2: The second big change which has been driven by a  common student request that we have rolling admissions.  We have decided to continue this also.  Our first student group will be accepted at the end of December, then February and the final group in April. There are no particular quotas for each block, rather students should have good projects that suit the flavor and goals of the course.

3: The course will run the same week as last year, from May 17th to May 24th 2013. We are starting on Friday and finishing Thursday the following week so everyone will have time to get home for the Memorial day Holiday (or perhaps stay on the Island for the weekend).
4: An expanded concentration on super-resolution including STED, PALM, STORM, and GSD (we hope to have instruments for each technology available at the course)

The url for the course is http://www.mdibl.org/courses/Quantitative_Fluorescent_Microscopy/159/
All enrollments and information is electronic however  if you have any questions feel free to contact me, and I look forward to hearing from interested applicants soon

Simon C. Watkins Ph.D, FRC Path
Professor and Vice Chair Cell Biology
Professor Immunology
Director Center for Biologic Imaging