CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2016

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:17:57 -0500

Quantitative optical microscopy - I also encourage this article

http://www.jove.com/video/50988/quantitative-optical-microscopy-measurement-cellular-biophysical
Video requires (institutional) subscription - the .M files are open access
PDF version is open access at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4162510/pdf/jove-86-50988.pdf

abstract

We describe the use of a standard optical microscope to
perform*quantitative*measurements of mass, volume, and density on
cellular specimens through a combination of bright field and
differential interference contrast imagery. Two primary approaches are
presented: noninterferometric*quantitative**phase*microscopy (NIQPM), to
perform measurements of total cell mass and subcellular density
distribution, and Hilbert transform differential interference contrast
microscopy (HTDIC) to determine volume. NIQPM is based on a simplified
model of wave propagation, termed the paraxial approximation, with three
underlying assumptions: low numerical aperture (NA) illumination, weak
scattering, and weak absorption of light by the specimen. Fortunately,
unstained cellular specimens satisfy these assumptions and low NA
illumination is easily achieved on commercial microscopes. HTDIC is used
to obtain volumetric information from through-focus DIC imagery under
high NA illumination conditions. High NA illumination enables enhanced
sectioning of the specimen along the optical axis. Hilbert transform
processing on the DIC image stacks greatly enhances edge detection
algorithms for localization of the specimen borders in three dimensions
by separating the gray values of the specimen intensity from those of
the background. The primary advantages of NIQPM and HTDIC lay in their
technological accessibility using "off-the-shelf" microscopes. There are
two basic limitations of these methods: slow z-stack acquisition time on
commercial scopes currently abrogates the investigation of phenomena
faster than 1 frame/minute, and secondly, diffraction effects restrict
the utility of NIQPM and HTDIC to objects from 0.2 up to 10 (NIQPM) and
20 (HTDIC) μm in diameter, respectively. Hence, the specimen and its
associated time dynamics of interest must meet certain size and temporal
constraints to enable the use of these methods. Excitingly, most fixed
cellular specimens are readily investigated with these methods. PMID:
24747818

Also IATIA (now Ultima Capital)
http://www.ultimacapital.net/iatiaimaging/Publications/Iatia%20Imaging/applicationNotes/comparisonWithOpticalPhaseContrastModalities.pdf

Yet another company, Ovizio
http://www.ovizio.com/
looks especially useful for cell bioreactors (i-Line), does have a
camera for a microscope.

and a classic (but not trivial to implement interferometry on a research
microscope),

Brown AF, Dunn GA 1989 Microinterferometry of the movement of dry matter
in fibroblasts. J Cell Sci 92: 379-389.
We describe the use of interferometric microscopy coupled with a novel
application of Sénarmont compensation for detecting and quantifying the
distribution of*dry*matter in cultured cells. In conjunction with video
techniques and digital image processing, a two-dimensional, calibrated
map of the*dry**mass*distribution in an isolated cell can be obtained
and digitally recorded. We have called the technique Digitally Recorded
Interferometric Microscopy with Analyser Shift (DRIMAS). The method
greatly facilitates the automatic recognition of cells by computer.
Recorded time-lapse sequences can be used to establish a database of the
growth and motility of specific cells in given experimental conditions.
Databases of this type can be analysed to reveal the patterns of growth
and locomotory behaviour of individual cells. We describe a systematic
method of obtaining parameters of cell size, shape, spreading,
intracellular motility and translocation. Auto-correlations and
cross-correlations between these parameters can be detected and
quantified using time series analysis, revealing potential cause/effect
relationships in the mechanisms of growth and motility. Besides
characterizing the overall pattern of cell behaviour, these data can
also yield information about the instantaneous pattern of intracellular
motility. We describe the use of finite element analysis to reveal the
dynamics of the intracellular transport of*dry*matter. This yields the
pattern of the minimum flow of*dry*matter required to account for the
changes in its distribution. Most of this flux is not associated with
the movement of visible structures and possibly represents the transport
of dissociated components of the cytoskeleton. In chick heart
fibroblasts, surprisingly high velocities of nearly 2.0 microns s-1 were
detected during the period of increased motility following tail
detachment. The total kinetic energy associated with the*dry**mass*flux
is a single parameter, which characterizes the instantaneous motility of
the cell. We found that the kinetic energy of intracellular motility can
be several hundred times greater than the kinetic energy of
translocation. Kinetic energy may prove to be a very informative single
measure of intracellular motility for assessing the effects of malignant
transformation, genetic manipulations, and other experimental treatments
on the locomotory machinery of the cell.

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Houston, TX 77054