CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1996

From:
Harvey Karten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 17:49:19 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 07:49:00 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Message not deliverable

----------------------------------- Returned -----------------------------------
From: [log in to unmask] at @UCSD
Date: 10/19/96 8:39AM
*To: [log in to unmask] at @UCSD
Subject: Re: irreproducible z-axis sectioning of Zeiss CLSM
The Z-section inaccuracy and non-reproducibility is also a problem with
BioRAD scopes. They use a friction coupling motor that is free standing on
the desk. A knurled cup presses on the fine focus. In order to obtain
accurate double label on the earlier MRC 600, we used the split screen
mode to capture two channels simultaneously. This assured us that the
matching images were truly at the same depth (ignoring refractive
wavelength errors). If you do this with triple labeling on the MRC 600,
the problem still had to be dealt with.

On the MRC 1000, with Lasersharp 1024 software, you can obtain full frame
images of three fluorophores simultaneously.

But the problem is also in the accuracy of return of the fine focus on the
microscopes themselves, so BioRAD does not bear the full responsibility
for this, as your note correctly points out.

Leica uses a Piezo Z-axis, and claims much better accuracy in the Z-plane.
Their piezo z drive is, I believe, mounted on the stage itself, and moves
the slide vertically. Expensive, but a neat solution. I don't know the
actual numbers, however, in regards to accuracy.
                regards, Harvey Karten