CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2008

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:42:34 +1100

Hi all,

I confess that I know nothing of the specific APDs in question.

However some years ago, I was very interested in APDs in general and,
at that time, those that worked in the analog mode, had to operate at
low gain (10- 100x) so that they did not run away. In this mode they
had very high multipicative noise* and in addition, at this low field
strength, the most likely amplification for an individual
photoelectron (PE) was zero. (i.e., Although the photon was absorbed
and the PE produced, the local field was insufficiently large to make
the PE initiate a cascade). All the PE with a gain of zero
essentially reduced the effective QE to a level much below that of
the silicon itself.

If you increased the acceleration field enough that most PE did
initiate a cascade, this produced a gain of maybe 10 million (+/- a
lot, depending on where in the depletion zone the PE was produced.).
However, you then had to quench this process (either passively, by
putting a resistor in series with the diode, so that the current flow
of the discharge reduced the applied voltage and terminated the
discharge, or by using active circuits to do the same thing but with
a shorter time-constant.) to prevent the diode from overheating.

This meant that you could only operate in a pulse-counting mode. If
the maximum throughput of the pulse-counting circuit was 30 MHz, then
even counting 3 photons in a 1 microsecond pixel time would lead to a
10% chance of having missed one more pulse because of pulse pileup: a
30% error that would become WORSE as the count-rate increased. Not
very useful for normal confocal.

At that time, you could only get a high effective QE if you used a
high field strength, and is you did this you had to use pulse
counting.

It would be nice to know away around this problem but I have yet to
hear of one.

Jim P.

*The extreme end of this trend is a single stage of the gain register
in an EM-CCD with a gain of 1.01, a situation that produces a
multiplicative noise almost exactly as large as the Poisson Noise
from the same signal and effectively halves the QE.

Prof. James B. Pawley,               		            Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,
FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 14-26, 2008, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	         Applications still
being accepted
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.