CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:33:07 +1000
Alessandro wrote:

"Now the LiMo system. Its limiting factor is still the dead time of the detector, but it can detect more photons/laser pulse and this is the reason why can be faster. Having only 4 gates it provides a lower photon-efficiency and less access to heterogeneous decays, but overall performs fast and is a simple and cost-effective system. Guy: is it possible that the comment on photon- efficiency refers to the lack of the requirement of detecting max 1 photon/pulse? "

Well, Alessandro comes from the lab where the LIMO was developed, so it may seem impertinent for a mere paying customer to comment!  But the ability to detect more photons per pulse - limited only by detector speed - is a key point.  Having only 4 gates means that any photons arriving after about 9ns are lost but unless you have very long-lifetime fluorophores that is relatively trivial.  But the other key factor is that the LIMO collects after every pulse, whereas the B&H versions around at the time my discussions took place simply didn't.  A lot of laser pulses were missed.  This may have improved - but I still don't find people saying they can get good images with 1-4s frame time on a B&H system.

I do emphasize that I'm not denigrating the B&H - I've used it, and published results from it.  The LIMO will not do multi-exponential fits, and these can be very useful.  (Actually - Nikon NB) my mathematically-inclined colleagues tell me that with 4 points you should be able to distinguish single and dual exponential decays, so maybe the software could be upgraded?

                                        Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net