CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Joseph Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:38:55 -0400

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.
I'll probably leave the disk alone, but I don't think think the specks
I see are due to holes in the chrome.  As I bring a sample into focus
(while the disk is stopped), I see the pinholes get brighter as the
sample comes into the focal plane.  For the specks, the brightness
doesn't change at all with focus.  This leads me to believe that the
light I'm seeing is scattered from the surface of the disk, not light
from the sample through holes in the disk.

I also can't think of what would cause this type of damage if there are
in fact holes in the chrome.  If it's damaged caused while spinning,
I'd expect the pattern to look more like long thin scratches.  Another
possibility would be that something's corroding the surface...but such
a large amount of corrosion over a short amount of time seems very
unusual (I've seen this get worse since moving my setup from one lab to
another, over a period of just a couple of months).  So, these factors
together make me think that it's some sort of dust...but I'd rather do
nothing than risk damaging the disk until I know for sure :)

Thanks again for the comments.
Best,
Joe