CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2019

From:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2019 12:59:10 +0000

Hi Jason,

>set the offset so all pixels are just above 0 (showing no blue - for Zeiss or green - for Leica)

While I do something similar, this method necessarily leads to an above zero background signal. When the signal fluctuates around an offset with a certain noise distribution and you set the instrument offset to allow no (or just a few) zero pixels, your mean signal is probably 3 or more standard deviations above zero. So best would be to do this is post-processing, convert to a format which allows negative values (32 bit in Fiji)  and subtract the background, so that it is actually zero, but who does this? For a strong signal this does not  matter much, but for noisy signal it might make quite a difference.

For my liking, the fixed offset setting on the Leica HyD detectors is a bit too high, it seems to cut off some very low signal, whereas this does not happen on a GaAsP PMT.

best wishes

Andreas