CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 1999

From:
Annelie Hentschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:06:00 +0200
...but if you have a shit image (to dark, not enough contrast...) & your
image is a 8 bit image, than you have less possibilities to scale your
image, to increase contrast etc..

Annelie

"Carl F. Huber" schrieb:

> Hello folks,
>
> I guess Ian meant 6 bits, not ! 64  - rule of thumb for human
> vision is that we can't see better than about 5 1/2 bits, so if
> your images are for human visual use only, 6 bits is plenty.
> Also, if you are looking at them on a typical video monitor, the max
> display is 8 bits (even for so called 24 bit images, because those
> are three color planes of 8 bits each).  You only need those
> higher resolutions if you are going to do some digital image
> processing to view  (visually or mathematically) the finer details.
>
> Carl Huber
> Microcosm

Annelie Hentschke
Max-Planck-Institute f. Marine Microbiology
Celsiusstr. 1
28359 Bremen
Germany
Phone: +49 (0)421-2028934