CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1995

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 11:51:36 +1200
>Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:42:13 -0800 (PST)
>From: Marc Brande <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Whole Systems List <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Whole-Cell Biology

There are a number of plant cell biologist who look at cytoskeleton
dynamics in living cells, a few of them are on this list.  It's something I
am gearing up to do in conjunction with whole-cell and multicellular
modelling along similar lines to Heinz Hemken.  Yep, you need powerful CPU
(i.e. lots of $$) and heaps of RAM, something at least equivalent to the
mid-range SGI computers.    People have started modelling cytoskeleton
dynamics at the molecular level with a limited number of subunits in
solution (e.g. Monte Carlo simulation of actin/actinin dynamics), but for
whole cell work I imagine you'd have to simplify quite a bit, otherwise be
very patient while the computer crunches through the simulation.  I think
it will be worth it in the end, because I reckon we're getting to the stage
where words and static images are becoming inadequate to accurately
describe complex 3D dynamics in cells.  I agree that we now know (almost?)
enough about cell structure and the kinetics of cell components (e.g. Ca
fluxes, protein interactions) to start building realistic 3D dynamic
models.  We'll find out soon enough what we don't know when the simulations
don't match experimental results!  In the plant world, there are
mathematical models for cell growth and division that give pretty realistic
simulations for very simple plants, but the problem is that the mathematics
doesn't tell you much (if anything) about the underlying biology that
controls cell expansion and division.  And every simulation gives you
exactly the same pattern of division, etc.  Anyway, I'd be very interested
to hear about other work in this area.  There isn't much literature at all:
 lots of volume-rendering stuff mostly with medical applications, some
maths-based simulation and just a small amount of work on dynamic
simulation of protein interactions in vitro.

cheers, Rosemary

   Rosemary White                       __    /
   Department of Ecology              _/  \__/ \
     and Evolutionary Biology        /          \
   Clayton, Victoria 3168           /  Australia \
   [log in to unmask]       \_/    \_*_/
   fax  61-3-905 5613                        __
   ph.  61-3-905 5670                        \/