CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2022

From:
"Kubow, Kristopher E - kubowke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:55:52 +0000
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi Brian and Lutz,

Just now catching-up on the recent messages. I believe that Thomas addressed some of the earlier points. Let me explain a bit more about the study design. Most quantitative image analysis of microscopy images is currently performed by the people who acquired the images, most of whom are not image analysis experts. The study was therefore modeled from the point-of-view of someone who took some images and then wanted to segment them. We wanted to assess the variability in segmentation results in this "real-life" situation--not with a panel of image analysis experts alone, but with participants with a diverse range of experience levels. (Now, whether image analysis should actually be done by non-experts is open to debate, but beside the point of the study since this is not what currently occurs.) Essentially, we're asking, "If we give the same images to a bunch of people, will they all produce the same segmentation?" Obviously the answer is, "no" - they will be different - but how different?

Lutz - we're not as concerned with "best" results as much as the consistency between results (accuracy vs. precision). We're not trying to identify any one algorithm that works better than the others (although one could assess accuracy relative to the ground truth). As you mention, it will be extremely difficult (nigh impossible) to attribute variability conclusively to a specific component or set of components. The study was not designed to make firm conclusions about causation. Nevertheless, we are hopeful that our analyses will yield clues that can then be tested in follow-up studies/experiments by us and the image analysis community. I should point-out that we are collecting a large amount of survey data in addition to the actual segmentation results. These data will be interesting in their own right as they might speak to, e.g., an analyst's under-/over-confidence in segmentation accuracy and common themes in segmentation pipelines. They will also be useful when comparing to the segmentation results - e.g. if variability correlates with image analysis experience etc.

This study was always intended to be a first step - just trying to get a handle on the magnitude of the problem - and not the conclusive work on the sources and solutions of variability in image analysis.

-Kris