CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1999

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 08:47:28 +0930
These are very good points, Hans ...

If we were setting up again now, I think I'd do just what you have
suggested - it is now possible to get large amount of hard disk / RAID
storage for not very much money. Two years ago when we began getting
funds for a storage system and planning it out, 100GB of RAID would have
cost us about A$120,000 - at the tim ewe could get the MO-based system
for about half that price. So that is the way we went - in the 12 months
between writing the funding applications and getting the actual money,
we ended up getting twice as much MO storage and about 50% more
intermediate RAID storage for the same amount of money! Nevertheless, it
still seems that the price of RAIDs tends to increase somewhat
exponentially with the increased number of disks in the array.

In terms of managing the storage facility, most of the effort has been
in setting up the Novell system for a large number of users - the HSM MO
jukebox management hasn't been too bad to deal with overall (but then I
didn't have to sit there for a week or two loading, formatting,
verifying, and naming 200GB worth of MOs... we paid someone to do
that!!)

It would be worth knowing if anyone has set-up or is using a
terabyte-sized RAID based storage system in a central imaging facility (
I don't mean a big computer centre based deal run by an army of
professional computer people!!)

Hope that helps

IAN

--