CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Michael Schell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 22:27:47 -0400

Here is our experience with Flash tag.  We made Flash-actin, with an
extra FLAG epitope between the N-terminal (optimized) tetracysteine
and the actin coding sequence.   Having FLAG epitope served as a
useful control in preliminary fixed-cell experiments to see that the
construct was incorporated into F-actin normally.

In trial 1, we labeled the transfected cells with the Invitrogen
Flash (Lumio green), according to the Invitrogen suggested protocol.
The result was a high background stain, and no detectable specific
staining.  We then contacted the Tsien Lab, and they offered some
hints for improving labeling.  These "hints" were that we use the
protocols described in the published Tsien et al work, rather than
Invitrogen.  In the second trial, reducing agents were present during
labeling and in the washes afterwards.  Also, perhaps just as
importantly, we noticed that the Lumio Flash reagent is unstable in
aqueous buffers.  In our first attempt, we had used old DMSO that was
no longer anhydrous.  Use fresh high-grade DMSO to dilute the FLASH-
EDT reagent.  The reagent is good if it has a pale pink color; upon
exposure to water it turns bright orange, and then it no longer works
as advertised.

The second attempt using good reagent in the present of reducing
agents produced a very nice specific label.  Background stain was
still present, but the specific label in transfected cells was
obviously more intense than the background, which was present equally
in all cells in the dish.  Label the cells for 30 min or less; longer
times only increased the background stain.  This is consistent  with
the high affinity of tetracysteine for Flash and also the instability
of un-ligated Flash in aqueous buffers.

Flash labeled actin underwent considerable photobleaching during live-
cell experiments.  We also used Flash-actin for FRAP experiments, but
here there is a concern that the singlet oxygen generated during the
bleach is causing damage to the F-actin or to the cell.   Such a
property would be an advantage for knockout techniques such as CALI.
We haven't yet tried photoxidation in fixed cells.

Our overall impression is that Flash techniques are a useful addition
to the fluorescence toolkit, but that GFP and RFP variants are better
for routine live-cell work.  On that note, however, using Flash
allowed us to overcome certain abnormal behaviors of GFP-actin that
are due to GFP steric hindrance, since the Flash-FLAG-actin did not
cause the same problems as GFP-actin.

Michael J. Schell
Dept. Pharmacology
USUHS